Problem Recognition, Definition, and Evaluation
As I have been unemployed for several weeks now, I need to find a new source of income to provide for my family.
Development of the feasible alternatives
- Find a new job with a large company in Indonesia.
- Find a new job with a small company in Indonesia.
- Find a new job outside Indonesia.
- Get accepted for a graduate program and take out a student loan.
Develop Cash flows for each outcome
- Finding a new job in Indonesia is a challenge as an expatriate. I meet all the minimum requirements to work in Indonesia, but to find a company willing to give me an expatriate package is a different story. Since I am already here I would take a local package. To find work with a large company in Indonesia, it would take building a network with large Indonesian firms. I can do this several times a month, but it would cost about $300 months to attend all the events and will take several months to possibly get something out of it.
- I can look for a small company to hire me in Indonesia, but I would have to sacrifice pay and have a lot of trust in this company and the people that run the company. There are many risks involved with being hired by a local company, but I would also get greater freedom, trust, and responsibility. To find a job like this would require a different type of networking combined with the networking from alternative 1 and would probably cost me an additional $100 a month from alternative 1 and will take several months as well.
- I am open to working anywhere that won’t get me killed. The problem is to get a job is a job which requires a lot of phones calls, networking, and using people who I previously worked with for future opportunities. I estimate that I would run up a $50 phone bill a month on international calls combined with 6-8 hours a day at 7 days a week for several months.
- I am open to expanding my knowledge and the opportunities available with a graduate degree. As well I can get an additional loan to cover my current expenses while waiting for additional work which will eventually pay off the loan. It will cost about $200 between all fees involved with setting it up; however, it will take several weeks to get setup.
Selection of the criterion
|Cost||3||Alternative 4 > Alternative 3 > Alternative 1 > Alternative 2|
|Cash Flow||1||Alternative 4 > Alternative 3 = Alternative 1 > Alternative 2|
|Time/Speed||2||Alternative 4 > Alternative 3 > Alternative 2 = Alternative 1|
Analysis and comparison of the alternatives
Due to my current financial situation of having no cash coming in, positive cash flow is important even if I have to pay it back later. The other alternatives all take cash with no guarantee of how much or when cash will be coming in.
Selection of the preferred alternative
Alternative 4 wins by dominance of all other alternatives. It has the lowest cost and is the soonest to bring in positive cash flow.
Performance monitoring and post evaluation results
The other alternatives would have posed more of a probability of effecting the outcome to a different alternative if the time it takes to get a job wasn’t so long or difficult. If any of the job opportunities were able to deliver in a more timely fashion then it would have been in my best interests to seek income from a job. However, there is no reason why I can’t have a job, and continue my education.